For the filling.
- 2 1/2 cups of all purpose flour.
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar.
- 1 teaspoon salt.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup ice water.
- 1/2 cup heavy cream.
- 1 table spoon confectioner’s sugar.
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract.
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche.
- 2 mangoes, peeled and halved.
- 12 small fresh mint leaves.
- Make the pate brisee: Pulse flour, sugar, and salt into food processor to combine. Add butter, and process until mixture resembles coarse meal, about 10 seconds. With machine running, slowly add ice water, and process until dough comes together. Divide dough in half, and shape each into disk. Wrap each in plastic and refrigerate at least 1 hour (or up to 2 days).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each disk of dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut out 12 circles using a 4-inch round cutter. Fit each circle into 2 1/2 inch tartlet pan. Trim overhang. Refrigerate shells for at least 30 minutes.
- Place tartlet shells on a baking sheet, and line each with a small square of parchment. Fill pie with weights or dried beans, and bake 10-15 minutes more. Let tarts cool on sheet on wire rack.
- Make filling: Whisk cream, confectioner’s sugar, and vanilla in a bowl until soft peaks form. Fold in cream fraiche. Fit a pastry bag with 3/8 inch tip, and spoon filling into bag. Pipe in tartlet shells filling each halfway.
- Cut mango crosswire into 1/8 inch thick slices. Roll 1 slice, and press into center of tartlet. Using 3 to 4 more wrap each slice around to create rose shape. Garnish with mint leaves before serving.